Workshops & Residencies
Mask Movement Theatre Workshop
These sessions involve theatre and movement exercises, character development, improvisations with masks, and the creation of short sketches.
- Provide an opportunity for participants to experience first-hand the power of transformation through masks.
- Foster awareness of the importance of movement, posture, and gesture on stage and in life.
- Facilitate improved self-image and self-expression.
- Improve strength, flexibility, and focus.
- Space: Open area, studio, with mirrors if possible, or stage with ample room for each participant to move.
- Clothing: loose fitting, sweats, or dance wear, bare feet, or comfortable shoes.
- 60 minutes or as prearranged
- Ages 10 through adult; 25 people maximum
MASKMAKING WORKSHOP “Sculpting a Face”
Students will sculpt in clay, working toward the completion of an expressive face from which they can later create a finished mask. We will focus on sculpting a face with specific emotional content that will project well from all angles. Students are encouraged to attend a FAUSTWORK performance.
In only one session, the students will experience immediate success in creating “something from nothing” and will thereby gain an enthusiasm for working in clay, as well as a greater appreciation for masks and sculpting in general.
Materials Per Student
(To be provided by sponsor / school)
- 8-10 lbs. of water-based modelling clay; used pottery clay is good, cheapest.
- A tray or flat piece of wood approximately 14″ x 14″ to work on.
- A small block of wood or crumpled newspaper wrapped with masking tape, to serve as an armature. (Half of a Styrofoam wig head would be ideal).
- Sculpting tools or improvised tools.
- Plastic (bag or sheet) to wrap work in when finished.
- Hand mirrors or larger, if available, to use while sculpting.
- 60 minutes, or as pre-arranged
- Ages 10 through adult; 25 people maximum. School or sponsor will provide helpers.
A wide variety of residency activities can be designed to meet the needs of individual sponsors or schools.
*Residency activities can also be designed for individual sponsors or schools.